Looking to earn some side income while juggling motherhood? Check out our list of flexible part-time job ideas for mothers in Singapore, plus resources and top tips!
Without a doubt, being a mom is a full-time gig in itself! But if you’re seeking a flexible job opportunity so you can earn some extra money on the side, we’ve got your back. Before you start, non-Singaporean/PR mamas should check with the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) on work eligibility according to their citizenship or work status.
From part-time jobs with flexible arrangements to convenient work-from-home jobs and part-time weekend jobs, check out our list for the best flexible part-time job ideas for mothers in Singapore. Plus we share handy job-hunting sites and top tips on how to get started on your job hunt!
Best Work-from-home Part-time Jobs
- Data entry
- Life coach
- Freelance writing or copywriting
- Freelance graphic designer
- Website designer
- Home-based business
– Run an e-commerce shop on Instagram/Shopee/Lazada/Carousell selling handmade goods, personally sourced/designed products, or become a stockist.
– Start a home bakery or catering business – this is probably best for those with older kids or mamas who have help as it can be quite demanding unless you strictly operate on certain days of the week.
Flexible Part-time Jobs
- Academic or enrichment tutor
- Makeup artist
- Fitness instructor
- Social media content creator… aka influencer
– Yes, we said the ‘I’ word! This is of course not for everyone and becoming an influencer doesn’t happen overnight. But if you happened to garner a substantial following thanks to the content people have found interesting over the years – whether it’s about food, fashion, beauty, parenting/relationship/life advice – you may start attracting the attention of brands and businesses, which can lead to quality paid collaborations. You can enter your Instagram handle through this platform to calculate your account’s average engagement rate, and gauge the estimated monetary amount you should be charging per post. Be mindful though that the income for influencers is not fixed and may be mostly sporadic.
Best Part-time Weekend Jobs
- Bridal makeup artist
- Wedding photographer
- Event catering
– As most weddings and events occur mostly on weekends, working in the wedding or gig industry in Singapore can be a good way to ensure a consistent stream of income if you are booked up every weekend.
Top Job-hunting Sites for Part-Time Jobs
- LinkedIn: this could be one of the easiest places to look for a suitable part-time job if you’ve built a network of like-minded professionals.
- Careermums: they actively post the latest job listings that are suitable for mothers in Singapore.
- Hopscotch: with the aim to empower women in Asia, Hopscotch lists both flexible and non-flexible roles from hundreds of companies in the country and region.
- Cultjobs: they post creative and marketing job listings, so if you’re looking for a flexible job in design, this is the place to keep your eyes peeled.
Top Tips for Landing a Part-time Job in Singapore
Network with other moms to seek out job opportunities
Surround yourself with like-minded mamas and you never know what opportunities may arise! Check in with fellow mama friends or the mothers you meet through playdates and bring up the subject of employment in case they hear of any job openings.
Reach out to small businesses
Get in touch with the local brands you love! Being a fan of their products or services means you’ll surely enjoy working with them, so don’t be afraid to make the first move and email or DM them on Facebook/Instagram to tell them how much you love their stuff and would like to get the chance to be on their team. You can also look out for small businesses and mama-owned businesses, who tend to be more understanding of the work-life balance us mamas need when we have little ones in tow. We recently saw this amazing post by local brand Inara Organics, who proves that it’s absolutely possible to bring your kids to work when you have a dedicated team of fellow mamas as coworkers!
These lists are not exhaustive of course, so if you have more suggestions do write to us with your ideas for part-time jobs for mothers in Singapore at [email protected]!