We all know the importance of self care! We polled over 50 helpers to find out how they’d like to feel appreciated; check out our exclusive Helper Appreciation Month perks to show your helper some gratitude!
In case you missed the big announcement, May 2019 is Helper Appreciation Month! Throughout the month of May we will have four themed weeks offering special activities and free or discounted services just for helpers: Healthcare (3-10 May); Gratitude (10-17 May); Education (17-24 May); and Fun (24-31 May). Make sure to check back every Friday for that week’s list of limited-time offers and deals from our sponsors (as we’re adding new perks and features all the time!). Today we are showcasing a variety of fun ways to say “thank you” with Gratitude Week!
As we mentioned earlier this week, gratitude is a core value we should all strive to cultivate. Besides teaching our kids the importance of acknowledging helpers’ hard work (and thanking them for it), it’s important that we as employers do the same.
Sassy Mama spoke to a panel of over 50 helpers to hear about how they would like to feel appreciated. In addition to some super fun goodies we’ve lined up below, here’s what they said they’d most like to receive from employers and their families:
- Words of encouragement and kindness: Anything from positive feedback to a nice thank you note (click here to download our helper thank you note template!).
- To be treated respectfully: Here are four ways kids can show respect and kindness to their helpers, courtesy of the Singapore Kindness Movement!
- Acknowledging important events: Such as birthdays, Christmas, or other religious holidays.
- A bit of pampering: A good haircut, a manicure and foot massage were all high on helpers’ wish lists!
- Movie tickets: Always a popular outing on Sundays – why not splash out for Gold Class?
- Shopping vouchers: Some favorite stores helpers mentioned include Cotton On, H&M, and Sephora.
- Library Membership: Click here for registration info.
- The occasional day off.
- Annual bonus or extra money to show appreciation.
- The special opportunity to visit family (or have family visit).
- Provide supplemental healthcare: For example, vision checks, dental appointments, routine mammograms/PAP smears, etc. Pssst! Check out our healthcare week offers for exclusive deals on these services.
- Share self-care apps such as Calm or Headspace, or encourage them to attend a yoga class with HelpHer Do Better
- Enroll her in educational courses like AIDHA or others to work on upskilling (look for more exclusive class offers coming up for Education week!).
- Organize a balikbayan box to send home to her family: Scroll on for a special offer below for $15 off boxes with an offer from K.C. Dat!
- Ensure your helper has enough data on her phone to keep in touch with her family (Scroll down for a special offer from Starhub!).
- Encourage her to take a few minutes to relax with a FREE coffee at Jones the Grocer.
Taking our cues from the lovely ladies we surveyed, we’ve sourced a whole bunch of super fun goodies from some wonderful partners across Singapore, all of which are sure to brighten your helper’s day. Here are the deets!
Discounts at Cotton On, Cotton On Body, Cotton On Kids, Rubi and Typo
We’ve teamed up with the Cotton On family of stores to give all of our Sassy Mama followers and Sassy Mama helpers an exclusive promotion for Gratitude Week. Head down to any Cotton On, Cotton On Body, Cotton On Kids, Rubi or Typo store and treat yourselves and/or your helper to a new wardrobe, cool accessories and shoes for the whole family, or they can go treat themselves and their families with this generous offer!
Sassy Mama Perk: Enjoy 10% off Cotton On, Cotton On Body, Cotton On Kids, Rubi and Typo stores with minimum $30 spend from 11 – 19 May!
– Show a screen grab of this Sassy Mama Gratitude Article on your phone to get a 10% discount with minimum $30 spend
– Offer applies to Cotton On, Cotton On Body, Cotton On Kids, Rubi and Typo stores across Singapore
– Offer applies to full priced items only
– Offer excludes foundation items, sale items and cannot be combined with any other offers in store
Free Coffee for Helpers at Jones the Grocer
One of our favorite family-friendly food emporiums in Singapore, Jones the Grocer serves up delicious gourmet foods sourced locally and internationally, including artisan groceries, a European deli, a walk-in cheese room, specialty baked breads and pastries, homewares, gifts and hampers. They’ve also got two convenient locations, at Dempsey Hill and Great World City.
Sassy Mama Perk: Jones the Grocer will be offering a free hot drink to all foreign domestic workers during Gratitude Week (10-17 May). Dine in, or bring your own coffee cup for takeaway!
-Get your helper to show a screen grab of the Sassy Mama Gratitude Article on their phone to redeem a free hot drink at either Jones the Grocer locations
-No other purchase is required
-Limited to one hot drink per helper
Jones the Grocer
Dempsey: 9D Dempsey Hill, #03-03/04, Singapore 247697, Tel: (+65) 6476 1518
Great World City: #01-66/67 Great World City, 1 Kim Seng Promenade, Singapore 237994, Tel: (+65) 6476 1518
Discounted Balikbayan Boxes from K.C. Dat
Since 1994, K.C. Dat Balikbayan Express has offered dedicated freight services to the Filipino community in Singapore. They guarantee door-to-door deliveries in a timely manner to any destination in the Philippines at a competitive price, with no hidden costs along the way.
Sassy Mama Perk: The first 150 people to book a Medium to Super Upsize box using promo code SASSYMAMA can take $15 off the published rate. Click here for box sizes and rates.
-To book, drop by K.C. Dat’s office at Lucky Plaza, or call (+65) 6732 4902 and quote SASSYMAMA.
K.C. Dat Balikbayan Express, 304 Orchard Road, #03-60 Lucky Plaza, Singapore 238863, Tel: (+65) 6732 4902, www.kcdatbalikbayan.com
$10 Manicures at The Nail Social
This is one you can feel doubly good about, mama: With two great locations on Haji Lane and Kreta Ayer, The Nail Social is a socially-conscious salon that was established with the aim of training and employing local underprivileged women with a higher barrier to employment, so as to help them progress from a position of vulnerability to security and self-sufficiency.
Sassy Mama Perk: Domestic helpers can get one quickie manicure (reg. $18) for just $10 when they mention Sassy Mama. NB: This offer is only available on weekdays in May and must be booked during Gratitude Week (13-17 May).
Ts & Cs:
-To book, call (+65) 6717 3221 and quote “Sassy Mama” to make your appointment
-Only valid for Foreign Domestic Workers (show your Work Pass at time of appointment)
-Valid for first-time customers only
-Not valid on weekends and public holidays
-Not valid during festival blackout dates
-Not valid in conjunction with other promotions, vouchers, or gift cards
-Valid on weekdays only till 31 May. Bookings must be made during Gratitude Week (13-17 May)
The Nail Social
Kampong Glam: 42A Haji Lane, Singapore 189235
Chinatown: 333 Kreta Ayer Road, #01-14, Singapore 080333
Tel: (+65) 6717 3221, www.facebook.com/thenailsocial.co, @thenailsocial, www.thenailsocial.co
FREE Phone Data and more from Starhub
Mobile phones are a valuable lifeline for helpers to keep in touch with their families; thanks to Starhub now they can surf and stay connected more easily than ever with some super affordable and convenient packages and top-up cards.
Sassy Mama Perk: SMS WOW19 to 77777 during Gratitude Week (10-17 May) and the system will prompt the opted-in customer a different promotion each day of the week, including Free Facebook usage for the day; Free WhatsApp messaging for 3 days; or FREE data. This offer is only available if they top-up their prepaid card from any channel.
In addition, helpers who attend our Helper Celebration Event on 1 June (click here to RSVP!) can get a free prepaid SIM card and free 12 GB of data over 12 months when they sign sign up for Starhub plans!
Ts & Cs:
-Promo is only valid for Starhub Prepaid lines for new or existing customers
-For more information or to register your interest, email email@example.com with the subject line “Sassy Mama Helper Appreciation Month”
Read more: All about Helper Appreciation Month 2019!