If you love a public holiday just as much as we do at Sassy Mama (no morning rush to get the kids ready and off to school — yippee!), then you’ll love that this October serves up two such holidays — Hari Raya Haji on 6 October and Deepavali on 22 October. If you’ve yet to make plans for these mid-week holidays, let us take care of it for you with our fun family-friendly day off itinerary!
1. Wake up early and relish the fact that you don’t have to rush your kids through the dreaded morning routine! Head to the new Baker and Cook at Holland Village for a stack of pancakes and some scrambled eggs, with a flat white or two on the side. Let the kids play with the tub of toys while you browse the day’s papers — this spot scores bonus points for being open at 7:30am.
2. Once coffee has been prescribed and tummies are full with eggs and pancakes, bundle the kids into a taxi and head to the Marina Bay Promenade for some post-brekky scootering. Start at the Marina Bay Shoppes and head towards the Financial District (and back), enjoying the cooler morning breezes and views over the water. Don’t forget to stop for some family snaps while you’re at it.
3. If the kids still have energy to burn – and mama can convince the hubstar to give her an hour off – leave the family at Fidgets City at Marina Bay Shoppes for some bouncing and sliding fun, while you zip off to Haji Lane for a bit of boutique browsing on this popular shopping strip.
4. Once the munchies start to descend again, meet the clan at A for Arbite in Aliwal Street for a no fuss meal that will satisfy every tummy. While you browse the extensive beer (and food) menu, littles can build any number of things with the small jars of Lego provided by staff.
5. It’s post-lunch and therefores time for a bit o’ mama maintenance at Buff n Rubz in Roberston Quay. (We realise that this itinerary is skewed towards mama — and why shouldn’t it be!). While papa kicks back at home with napping kiddies, get your nails sorted with a quick mani pedi or get those kinks worked out with a no-fuss reliable back, neck and shoulder massage.
6. Once you’ve descended into a blissful state of relaxation, roll home and spend a couple of hours playing indoors with the kids. All that zen-like mama calmness will mean you’ll organise activities and referee arguments like never before! Need a bit of inspiration for what to do? Read our handy guide for Indoor Activities to get you started.
7. When the sun starts to set, keep the kitchen clean and head to your local for a kid-friendly meal instead. We adore Jamie’s Italian at VivoCity for their health-conscious yummy dishes and the fact they have plenty to keep little ones entertained while mama and papa eat in peace.
8. All days off should always end with something cold and sweet, so stop at Seriously Ice Cream on your way home for some serious ice cream. This small understated gelato spot in this up and coming hipster hood is the perfect way to end a day of munching and playing!
9. Once the sugar rush subsides, bathe the kiddos and pop them into bed with a new book to read. Look to our picks of the Best New Children’s Books from 2014 to get you sorted.
10. By 8pm, the day is done and dusted, the monkeys are tucked into bed and that means a quiet house, a glass of wine and a movie with the hubstar is in order. Ensure you have plenty of vino in the house by putting in your order early with The Straits Wine Company.