Singapore’s first zero waste shop Unpackt has just opened! All the deets on the BYO, plastic bag-free shopping experience
We are big on reducing waste, minimising plastic and trying to live a zero-waste life as you know! So when we heard Singapore’s first zero waste shop, Unpackt (located in Ang Mo Kio) was opening, we were thrilled! We went for the preview last week; check out our video to see what the store will carry and how its packaging-free shopping concept works:
Co-founders Florence Tay and Jeff Lam came up with the idea of opening Unpackt to offer consumers a packaging-free shopping experience along with the possibility to buy products in non-standard quantities. The concept is simple: bring your containers, weigh them, fill them with products dispensed from self-serve bins and pay. In the event that you forget to bring your containers with you, fear not, they can provide you with some. However, the idea is that you come with your own — that’s the whole point here, people! (Pssst! If you’re looking for a similar concept a bit closer to the CBD, you can also check out free-trade cafe The Social Space, which also offers a “refillery station” where you can BYO container to fill up on home cleaning and personal care products!).
What can you buy at Unpackt?
- Kitchen staples like olive oil, sesame oil, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and spices
- Liquid cleaning detergents
- Pastas, nuts, oats, quinoa, chia seeds, amaranth grains, dried beans and lentils
- Cold pressed soaps, reusable washcloth, menstrual cups and tooth powder (from The Clean Attempt)
- Beeswax wraps (to use as clingwrap) and scented soy wax melts
- Local delicacies such as Mix Muruku, Tapioca sticks, Coconut Pineapple Biscuits and Khong Guan biscuits
The store is not yet carrying any fresh produce, but we hope they will in the future. Also this is just their initial selection of products, but they will gradually expand their offerings. For now let’s congratulate Florence and Jeff on making their dreams (and ours!) come true by opening Singapore’s first zero-waste shop! When are you heading over to check it out?
Looking for more ways to save the earth? Swap out your single-use plastics for these!
Unpackt, 6 Jalan Kuras, Singapore 577724, www.facebook.com/UnPackt.SG