Let your child’s imagination soar while celebrating important themes like diversity and inclusion at the upcoming Story Carnival @ Enabling Village, mama!
Looking for a way to keep the kiddos occupied on the next public holiday? This September will see the debut of the Story Carnival @ Enabling Village, a wonderful (and FREE!) two-day celebration of the storytelling tradition that will feature more than a dozen of Singapore’s finest storytellers, along with two concerts, FIVE craft-and-story workshops, and plenty of fun, free attractions for kids and parents.
New this year and organised by the people behind the 398.2 Storytelling Festival, the carnival will be held at Enabling Village, an integrated community space catering to people with diverse abilities that allows them to move independently, feel accepted for who they are, be valued for their contributions. A few highlights will include:
- Visual and hearing -impaired performers featured alongside established and up-and-coming storytellers in a programme that combines performances and workshops
- “Tea ‘n’ Tales” at the Sapling Restaurant, featuring a buffet and fabuluous food stories!
- Tours of the Village led by secondary student volunteers trained by Story Connection
- A Forum for people to share personal stories of their own differently-abled journeys
- Craft workshops built around stories relating to the theme, offering inspirational take-aways for the participants
On top of all that, there will also be a bouncy castle and face painting – and again this will be FREE! Storytelling sessions are all designed for children aged 2 to 5, and will be done in conjunction with a mobile library set up by the National Library. Kiddos who get there early can look forward to free popcorn and curry puffs too, mama!
The Enabling Village is conveniently located just five minutes from Redhill MRT station, and also offers parking. The entire facility is completely accessible and wheelchair-friendly.
Under the leadership of legendary Singapore storytellers Roger Jenkins and Sheila Wee, the carnival’s diverse stories – both true and traditional – will celebrate diversity, inclusion, differently-abled heroes and heroines, tales of teamwork, and cooperation. Plus with singers, mimes, and craft artists, there will truly be something there for everyone!
All the details!
What: Story Carnival @ Enabling Village
When: Friday 1 September – Saturday 2 September, 10:30am to 5pm daily
Where: Singapore Enabling Village, 20 Lengkok Bahru, Singapore 159053
How much: FREE! Certain craft events will be ticketed; click here for all the deets, mama!