With our Workout of the Week series, please welcome super-fit mamas Vanessa and Amanda from Momentum Bootcamps (with a cameo from Amanda’s daughter Harper) to take you through a series of easy exercises you can do anytime, anywhere. Let’s get moving!
For this week’s workout you will need a resistance band or tube, which you can pick up at most sporting goods stores. This strength training workout will not only build and tone your muscles, but the ‘afterburn effect’ of strength training will increase your metabolism, therefore continuing to burn calories post-exercise.
- Warm up first with 5 minutes of light jogging, jumping jacks and walking lunges.
- Perform 12 repetitions of each exercise, taking breaks as needed. Complete a total of 3 rounds.
- Increasing the tension on the resistance band will make the exercise more challenging.
- Cool down with 3-5 minutes of stretching.
1. Lunge & Chest Press
- Start by looping the resistance band around an anchored point eg. tree or pole.
- Hold the ends of the bands in each hand with feet hip-width apart.
- Lunge forward until there is no slack in the band. Your hands should be at your chest, elbows up and palms facing down.
- Press forward with your hands together at the same time. Return slowly, being careful not to go past your shoulders.
- Repeat, leading with the opposite leg.
2. Tricep Extension
- Standing with your arms straight over your head and the band still looped around pole at this height, take a step forward.
- Position your feet hip-width apart and keep your core engaged.
- With your elbows close next to your head, slowly lower hands behind you and then return to straight arm position again. This is one repetition.
3. Squat & Row
- With the band still looped around an object at chest height, grab each end with your hands and step back until the band is tight.
- Extend your arms in front of you as you sit back into a squat position.
- As you stand up (or jump up), pull your elbows back and squeeze your shoulder blades together.
4. Bicep Curl
- Stand on the band with both feet about hip-width apart. Hold each end of your band, placing your elbows at your side.
- Bending at the elbows, raise your hands up towards your chest then lower down slowly.
5. Plank & Single Arm Row
- Anchor the band again closer to the ground, approx. 1ft off the ground.
- Get down into a plank position on your hands, your your hips square to the ground.
- While holding this position, pull back with one arm on the band so that your elbow grazes your rib cage. Don’t let your torso twist to the side. Resist the band as you straighten your arm back out.
- Repeat with the other side.
- Lower the plank to your knees if you are finding it very difficult to keep your hips square and still.
Lead image sourced via Pinterest