Social Media


Ask Andreas: My maid is pregnant, what should I do?

ExpertsPost Category - ExpertsExpertsFamily LifePost Category - Family LifeFamily Life - Post Category - Domestic HelpersDomestic Helpers


I’ve just discovered that my helper is pregnant. What are my legal obligations as an employer and how best can I help her?

The situation in Singapore for pregnant helpers is very clear cut. Unless they are married to a Singapore citizen or permanent resident, their Work Permit is cancelled and they are deported due to breach of contract. The employer must pay for transportation home. Personally I find it sad that they are not afforded more consideration, but it is the law. An unknown number have abortions, often using potentially dangerous drugs, in order to keep their jobs.

According to the Ministry of Manpower website your obligations as an employer are as follows:

If the Foreign Domestic Worker (FDW) is pregnant, you must notify MOM’s Work Pass Division through iSubmit web portal or email to [email protected] with the following information:

  • Name of FDW
  • Work Permit number
  • Doctor’s letter/memo confirming the pregnancy and her expected delivery date
  • Citizenship of the FDW’s spouse (if applicable)

For the only guide you’ll ever need on working with a helper, check out Andreas’ fab book ‘Hiring and Managing Domestic Help’ and buy it here.


Andreas Rosboch was born and raised in Sweden by an Italian father and a Swedish mother. He has been an expat for more than ten years and plans to keep it that way. He has spent most of his career in the information technology field, handling everything from brand management to customer support. He is the author of one of our most-recommended books Hiring & Managing Domestic Help – an absolute must-have for Hong Kong mamas (psst- and you can buy it here). He lives in Hong Kong with his wife, two children and dog.

more sassy mama

What's New

We're social

We're social

What we're up to and what inspires us