We’re almost embarrassed to be getting into this fight – it’s bullying really, to pick on someone so much weaker than yourself; but when the Hong Kong mamas over at Sassy Mama HQ started trying to defend themselves about recent survey results showing Singapore is Asia’s best place to be a mother, we just had to step in and clear up any confusion.
So, here’s the lowdown on why the Little Red Dot is infinitely superior to the Big Bauhinia as a place to raise your fam. (And because we hate an unfair fight, we’re not even going to MENTION Hong Kong’s air pollution issues. Oh wait… Oops!)
Think you can beat this Hong Kong mamas? Read all about what those Hong Kong ladies are saying about their home over on Sassy Mama Hong Kong.
1. The sheer family friendliness of Singapore is staggering…from high chairs in nearly every restaurant, to baby changing facilities around every corner, and footpaths that don’t end unexpectedly in enormous flights of steps or busy roads (we’re looking at you Mid-levels!).
2. Weekend getaways to tropical islands are just too easy. An hour to Bintan on the ferry? Done. Two-hour flight to Bali? Hello. It’s unfair for us to even think about mentioning the sandy beaches of quick getaways like Perhentian, Tioman Island, and Sibu. A weekend in Macau? We’ll pass.
3. Dim Sum might be king in the ‘Kong but it hardly compares to the variety of food on offer in the S’pore. From the curries in Little India, to the Char Kway Teow and Nasi Lemak in hawker centres like Newton Circus, and the smoky satays at Lau Pa Sat, you name it we’ve probably eaten it. Did we mention the Chilli Mud Crabs? Yep, that too.
4. Navigating Singapore with kiddies is a breeze… Public transport is quick, clean and efficient, taxi drivers are friendly and helpful (we don’t know many Uncles that won’t help put a stroller in the boot for you or wait for you to strap in a car seat), there’s bike tracks galore, and a stack of walking trails for mamas with prams.
5. The island is covered with parks, nature reserves and playgrounds with actual grass, trees and space to really let the wee ones run around. There’s everything from coastal parks, to island beach clubs, inner city playgrounds, and nature reserves…we’re literally a city in a garden.
6. The Zoo… Yes, it’s so good (dare we say the best in the world?) it deserves its own shout-out. Little ones (and big ones!) will never get bored of it. You can literally do it every weekend and never get bored.
7. But if you do get tired of the zoo, you can check out the brand-new River Safari, Port of Lost Wonder, Universal Studios, Jurong Bird Park, the S.E.A. Aquarium, Gardens by the Bay and a whole host of fam-friendly attractions.
8. Space. Our little ones aren’t bouncing off the walls by 8am because our living rooms are fractionally larger than the average wardrobe. We can also chuck our munchkins outside in the garden or playground at a moment’s notice. No taxi-ing around town or over-scheduling with activities to get them out of the house.
9. There’s so much variety in our neighbourhoods – from the chilled out East Coast, to hip and happening Tiong Bahru, lively Jalan Besar, Clarke Quay, sunny Sentosa, Little India, Chinatown, the CBD, Dempsey Hill, the Heartlands… You can choose a different area for every mood and they’re all totally different!
10. There’s so much on for families! Every weekend our diaries are jam-packed with amazing events like Children’s Season at Singapore Museums, theatre productions, concerts in the Botanic Gardens and much, much more… Hong Kong’s a bit of a cultural desert by comparison…
Well, now that’s settled, we’re off to bask in the Singapore sunshine and jump in the pool for a quick swim with the kiddos… Best place to be a mama? Singapore wins HANDS DOWN!
And we hope you agree with us too, mama! In fact, we’re so excited to hear what you think; we’ve got a little sweetener for you. Simply leave your comments below or via Facebook telling us what you think about being a mama in Singapore to stand a chance of winning these very covetable prizes from Palate that will have you booking the babysitter pronto…
We have two amazing prizes; one for the funniest comment, and one for the best overall comment, as picked by our editorial team.
Two lucky winners will each take home a Palate Premier dining card worth $598+, giving them access to discounts of up to 50% at over 50 choice restaurants in Singapore.
Not a lucky winner this time? You can join the Palate programme and enjoy discounts at some of our favourite restaurants!
Thanks to our sponsor!
Giveaway terms and conditions
- The giveaway runs from 24th June – 5th July.
- Two winners will be picked by the editorial team, and are at the editor’s discretion.
- Winners will be contacted either via email or by private message if the comment has come via Facebook.
- Both winners will receive a Palate Premier Dining Card worth $598+.
UPDATE: This competition is now closed. Congrats to our winners, Val and Batya!