We’re celebrating Back To School month, and what better way to get your kids excited about their first day back at school than by personalising their new school gear? From backpack decorating to personalised notebooks and pencil cases, there are so many ways to craft with your kids right before the school year begins. To start off with, we’ve decided to get creative with decorating your child’s backpack.
Happy crafting, mama!
What you need:
- Solid-coloured backpack
- Iron-on patch
- Fabric glue
- Swarovski crystals
- Rhinestone setter
- Needle and thread
- Letter and ribbon embellishments
- Strawberry and bell charms
- Clear ID card holder
What to do (Part 1):
1. Prepare all your materials in advance.
2. Position your iron-on patch onto your backpack.
3. Using a medium heat, gently press your iron onto the patch and hold down for a few seconds at a time. Check periodically to ensure that the heat transfer temperature is not too hot. Once the patch is sealed on, you’re all set! Let the glue dry.
4. Using your fabric glue and tweezers, neatly glue your ribbon embellishments onto your backpack.
5. Next, using your needle and thread, carefully sew on your child’s name/last name/favourite cartoon character (totally up to you!) onto the bag to give it a personalised feel.
6. Voila! One personalised backpack!
What to do (Part 2):
Should you want to take it a step further and add a few more decorations to your bag, follow the next 6 steps:
1. Prepare your coloured Swarovski rhinestones and rhinestone setter.
2. Using the base of your rhinestone setter, carefully position your rhinestone on your backpack.
3. Turn your backpack inside out, and using the pen tip and rhinestone clasp make sure that the claws of your clasp are facing downwards, then gently press down on a flat surface. Your rhinestones will be set perfectly!
4. Using a clear ID card holder, add some cute background paper to the inner lining. If you have some old charms and bells, neatly thread the charms onto the chain.
5. Attach the ID holder to either of the straps on the backpack.
6. Finally, you can add a ribbon and strawberry charm to the zippers to give the backpack an even more personal touch.
And there you have it! Back to school backpack… primped to perfection!
For loads more cute, clever and crafty ideas, check out the SweetP website!