Sassy Mamas, here’s a Christmas playlist for you and your families, guaranteed to get your home in the spirit of all things festive! Stream it here for an audio/visual feast to relish in with your excited little bundles of joy!
1. MICHAEL BUBLÉ: IT’S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS
Set to Disney’s 1954 “Once Upon A Wintertime”, Bublé makes this Christmas classic shimmer like a fairytale.
2. LILY ALEN: KEANE, SOMEWHERE ONLY WE KNOW: “THE BEAR AND THE HARE”
Bear is the only animal that never gets to celebrate Christmas because he has to hibernate every year! However, this year is different. In this magical mini animation video, his best friend Hare gives him his first Christmas to remember forever. Cue Kleenex… PLAY! My kids love it!
3. ANDY BURROWS: LIGHT THE NIGHT, FROM THE SNOWMAN AND THE SNOW DOG
From the sequel to Raymond Briggs’ classic, The Snowman, here’s the lead single to The Snowman and The Snowdog. Two stories in one, this music video is about a boy who longs to fly, just as the Snowman does in Raymond Brigg’s original story.
4. I’D LIKE TO TEACH THE WORLD TO SING
A classic feel-good tune at any time of year!
5. FLYING THEME, FROM E.T.
The flying theme from ET is one of my all-time soundtrack favourites! If reindeers can fly, then maybe so can kids… on bikes, haha!
6. SWINGLE SINGERS: OH COME EMMANUEL
Lose yourself in this brilliantly-Swingled arrangement of a traditional advent classic. Share the light and rejoice!
7. MINION ICE CREAM PARTY, FROM DISPICABLE ME 2
Have an ice cream party for a taste of winter chill! These little balls of sunshine know how to do it best!
8. HARRY CONNICK JR: SILVER BELLS
Christmas time in the city! Here’s a furiously swinging arrangement of the Jay Livingston-Ray Evans Christmas classic, initially unveiled 60 years ago by Bob Hope and Marilyn Maxwell in “The Lemon Drop Kid”.
9. JANINE JANSEN : BADINERIE BY BACH
Bach composed all his music for the love of God. His pure musical genius warms the soul like nothing else. This piece is a soundbite of heaven played by one of my favourite violinists.
10. BOND: JINGLE BELL ROCK
Here’s to reminiscing on my days of youth with my Bond sisters of bliss! This is Bond’s take on Jingle Bell Rock. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU!
11. BENNY GOODMAN/ LIONEL HAMPTON: STEALIN’ APPLES
We probably all agree Christmas is about merry-making and togetherness. These cool cats would be perfect Christmas dinner guests to jam with post-feast. (Roast) ham it up!
12. GIN THE DOG AND KATE: ROCK AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE
Here’s inspiration for all top dogs…. Rock out around YOUR Christmas tree!
13. WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR
There’s magic all year round to be had with this song, if you only “believe”!
14. YOU CAN FLY, FROM PETER PAN
Sprinkle Tinkerbell dust on your munchkins and fly them to the top of your Christmas tree to place your star.
15. JACK JOHNSON: RUDOLPH THE RED NOSE REINDEER
Jack Johnson’s voice is as dreamy as the beach so why not take your Christmas celebration to Sentosa this year?
16. JOHN LENNON: IMAGINE
17. HERB ALPERT: THE BELL THAT COULDN’T JINGLE
Can it get any cuter? ‘The Bell That Couldn’t Jingle’ is as sweet as a Christmas cookie!
18. KING’S COLLEGE CHOIR: THE HERALD ANGELS SING
With an epic chorus composed by none other than Felix Mendelssohn, let the heavens open to the sound of trumpets with a chorus of angels singing out loud – HARK!
19. ZIPIDEE DO DA: THERE”S A BLUEBIRD ON MY SHOULDER
Make your Christmas simply wonderful!
20. BING CROSBY: CHRISTMAS SONG
Bing is the epitome of Christmas cheer with this song. His whole Christmas album is stellar!
21. JINGLE BELLS: DIANA KRALL
You’ve heard this track over a million times and your kids want to hear it a million times more. Don’t shoot the stereo, play this version instead. It’s beyond festive chic!
22. MARK MORRIS DANCERS: WALTZ OF THE SNOWFLAKE
SENSATIONAL! Mark Morris’s take on the Nutcracker with his ‘The Hard Nut’ adaptation is hands down the best snowflake dance ever choreographed. Stream this for your little princesses and princes, and create a winter wonderland in your living room.
23. MARIAH CAREY: ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS FROM LOVE ACTUALLY
With global sales of over 12 million, this is Mariah Carey’s biggest hit. The New Yorker calls it, “one of the few worthy modern additions to the holiday canon”. Joyous, modern, exhilarating and loud with even a hint of longing, this modern Christmas classic is lit with amaaaazing.
24. MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET
BELIEVE! If you have any doubts about Santa’s existence, be sure to sit and watch this film with your whole family. Here’s to defining magic!
25. OSCAR PETERSON: OH CHRISTMAS TREE
I love this adaption. It’s a slice of peace in the chaos of festive excitement. Cashmere lush!
26. DEAN MARTIN: MARSHMALLOW WORLD
Trip out with friendly marshmallow clouds in the arms of the forest green trees… who needs snow when it’s a whipped cream day?
27. JUDY GARLAND: HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS
We need at least one sad Christmas song. Judy Garland is heart-breakingly beautiful with this song of longing and hope.
28. BING CROSBY AND THE ANDREWS SISTERS: MELE KALIKIMAKA
Mele Kalikimaka is what they say on a bright Hawaiian Christmas Day!
29. JOHN WILLIAMS: CHRISTMAS AT HOGWARTS
Christmas knits and invisible cloaks… I know what we’ll be wearing this Christmas day (though I wish we were wearing the latter!).
30. MORMON TABERNACLE CHOIR: CAROL OF THE BELLS
Brace yourselves for an army of bells!
31. PERRY COMO: CHRISTMAS SONG
If you only have Perry Como singing your Christmas cheer, you’ll be more than okay! He defines an era of yesteryear, but his Christmas album in its entirety is as fresh today as he was in the 1950s. Hollywood gold.
32. WHEN CHRISTMAS COMES TO TOWN, FROM THE POLAR EXPRESS
Wrap the little boy who sings this up in an enormous polar bear hug. “The Polar Express” is another fabulous Christmas movie worth viewing this holiday season.
33. BING CROSBY: RUDOLPH THE RED NOSE REINDEER
This song is good enough to knit into a Christmas sweater, featuring reindeers of course!
34. JOSH GROBAN: BELIEVE, FROM THE POLAR EXPRESS
Sing it. Believe it.
35. ANDY WILLIAMS: IT’S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR
Andy Williams is a holiday institution! Defining Christmas kitsch, you’ll want to watch this footage on repeat. If only TV was still like this… Youtube search him for more!
36. DESTINY’S CHILD: 8 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS
It’s a Hip Hop take on Christmas…!
37. BING CROSBY AND DAVID BOWIE: LITTLE DRUMMER BOY
Toast your eggnog to these two superstars and their mash-up of Peace On Earth with The Little Drummer Boy. It appears David Bowie is completely unaware of the genius to the side of him… brilliant!
38. JOHN WILLIAMS: CHRISTMAS STAR
All hail John Williams, soundtrack guru, who pens music like he’s painting masterpieces.
39. BING CROSBY: I’M DREAMING OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS, FROM HOLIDAY INN
Irving Berlin wrote this holiday standard, and Bing Crosby went on to immortalise it, lending his voice to make it the best selling song in history. This yuletide track defines Christmas kitsch/chic and creates the holiday atmosphere you’re most likely looking for. Buying Bing Crosby’s entire “White Christmas” album, will be the best Christmas investment you ever make!
40. BOBBY MCFERRIN AND YO-YO MA: HUSH LITTLE BABY
Hush little baby in a manger, the Bobby McFerrin way!
41. PERRY COMO: WE WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS
Here’s another notch in Perry Como’s Christmas belt, further securing his place as a pop cultural milestone. This is his version of a popular sixteenth-century English carol from the West Country of England.
42. CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS DANCE SONG
Get down with Charlie Brown, from his Christmas classic, “A Charlie Brown Christmas”. This must be the first ever Harlem Shake!
44. PHARRELL WILLIAMS: HAPPY, FROM DESPICABLE ME 2
One can’t help but smile when hearing this song…!
45. BING CROSBY AND THE ANDREWS SISTERS: SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN
There’s no harm in reminding the kids, “He’s making a list, he’s checking it twice. He’s going to find out who’s naughty or nice…”!
46. JOHN WILLIAMS AND THE BOSTON POPS: SLEIGH RIDE
JOY TO THE WORLD! Orchestral sound effects depicting Santa driving his sleigh, with the clip-clopping hooves of his twelve reindeers, and then the final “neigh” to finish it all off. Fire up your kids’ imagination with this stellar symphonic rendition.
47. PERCY FAITH AND HIS ORCHESTRA: GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMEN
Percy Faith and this record brew up the perfect instant Christmas spirit. It’s another essential for your Christmas music collection.
48. YO YO MA & ALLISON KRAUSS: WEXFORD CAROL
This Celtic Christmas song is hauntingly beautiful, played by phenomenal musicians and filmed for a one-take recording. Lush!
49. ELVIS PRESLEY: HERE COMES SANTA CLAUS
How awesome would Christmas in Graceland be? But maybe this is as close we’ll get… for now!
50. THE NUTCRACKER SUITE, FROM DISNEY’S FANTASIA
Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without “Fantasia”, an animated take on Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite. There’s a nod to our sisters in Hong Kong and China with “China Dance”, which features the most adorable candy mushrooms we’ve ever seen… and they’re red and white for Christmas perfection! Positively the most delightful sugar rush on stage!
51. THE DRIFTERS: WHITE CHRISTMAS
Crank up your Kris Kringle factor with this peppermint rendition of White Christmas. We’re smitten with the lone white reindeer in this music video.
52. MAGGIE SANSONE AND ENSEMBLE GALILEI: CHRISTMAS SONG, “CANTIGA DE SANTA MARIA”
Make your music merriment marvellously Medieval! “Ancient Noels” by Maggie Sansone & Ensemble Galilei is refreshing with a twist, and a great alternative Christmas album for your collection.
53. DEAN MARTIN: SILVER BELLS
City sidewalks, busy sidewalks, dressed in holiday style… Here’s another cherry of a holiday standard matched perfectly to Singapore’s city buzz.
54. ZOLTAN KODALY: VENI VENI EMMANUEL
This popular hymn with its moving and substantial melody is oh-so-satisfyingly good. And its message, calling on Christ to appear, rings true to the religious essence of what this holiday is about.
55. CHRIS BOTTI AND THE LOOSH: EMMANUEL
Emmanuel is a Hebrew word meaning “God is with us.” And this performance sounds like he really is. Take a moment and think about the meaning of Christmas.
56. THE CHIEFTANS: BELLS OF DUBLIN
Bring together all the colours of the festive season this diverse Christmas album, named after the title of this track. Or just go for BRIGHT with this energetic festive number!
57. OSCAR PETERSON: SILENT NIGHT
Oscar Peterson is pure bliss with this holiday classic. It’s so silently lush you can almost hear snow falling outside.
58. SURF RIDERS: THE LIVELY ONES
For anyone celebrating Christmas on the beach, be it Sydney or Singapore, this number will get you in the mood for waves and turkey!
59. WHAM: LAST CHRISTMAS
It’s a classic. Say no more.
60. JACOB COLLIER: I SAW THREE SHIPS
Super young Jacob Collier is on the brink of superstardom! And you’ll understand why, with his version of a traditional English Christmas carol. Pure genius.
61. BEACH BOYS: LITTLE SAINT NICK, FROM COCA COLA CHRISTMAS ARCTIC PARTY
Polar Bears and penguins make The Beach Boy’s Little Saint Nick even more delightful. Here’s paying homage to Coca Cola and the real reason our modern-day Christmas is red and white.
62. FREDIKA STAHL: TWINKLE STAR
Twinkle, twinkle bright Northern Star, with this gorgeously magical take on one of the world’s most popular songs.
63. THE SNOWMAN AND THE SNOWDOG MOVIE… COMPLETE!
I grew up on this Christmas animation film and now my kids love it. Chances are your children will, too.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL!
Haylie’s full, and fabulously festive playlist is available to stream via Youtube right here!
Internationally acclaimed violinist Haylie Ecker graduated from London’s Guildhall School Of Music & Drama with First Class Honours and a postgrad in violin performance. Taking a tangent from the classical world with 3 of her girlfriends, they founded the multi-platinum award-winning electric string quartet Bond. As former first violinist of the group, Bond sold over 4 million albums, and released their Live At The Albert Hall concert on DVD. She left the group in 2008. Haylie now lives in Hong Kong with her husband, 2 gorgeous children, and has recently started to perform again. She’s also relishing the role of Artistic Director for PLAY! www.pphk.org.