Stumped for dinner ideas, mama? This kid-friendly recipe includes guilt-free nuggets and takes less than 30 minutes to make!
If you’ve been looking for a more nutritious alternative to your typical chicken dinners, QuornTM may be your answer, mama. Made from MycoproteinTM, this meat-free range is completely soy-free, high in protein and fibre, low in saturated fat, contains essential amino acids and no cholesterol.
Skeptical? I’m not usually one for meat alternatives…until I tried the following QuornTM recipe for Sweet & Sour Not-chicken Nuggets… it was so good, I forgot it wasn’t chicken.
Not only did this meat-free option live up to the hype, but studies suggest that MycoproteinTM helps maintain normal blood cholesterol levels, and may lower LDL cholesterol (AKA ‘bad’ cholesterol) levels, to support heart health. Evidence also suggests it could have a positive effect on helping to control one’s blood glucose!
You’ll have to taste it to believe it, mama! The recipe below is super quick, so you don’t have to take too much time to prepare a nutritious dinner for the fam. Plus, you really can’t go wrong with nuggets – Quorn TM Crispy Nuggets are perfect for encouraging healthy eating in kiddos!
150g QuornTM Crispy Nuggets
50g corn starch
50g fresh or canned pineapple – diced
50g cucumber – deseeded and diced
50g tomato – diced
50g red onion – diced and peeled into petals
2 tsp of cooking oil
1/2 tsp salt
30g brown sugar
30ml white vinegar
1-2 tbsp of corn starch solution (1:1 solution of corn starch and water)
White sesame seeds – for garnish
1. Deep fry the Crispy Nuggets for about 3-4 minutes, or pop into the air fryer at 180ºC for about 12-18 minutes (will vary by appliance, these are guidelines only).
2. Prepare the sweet and sour sauce. In a bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, white vinegar, water and salt. Mix until sugar dissolves. Add tomato ketchup for taste and colour.
3. Heat wok up with oil and stir-fry onion until fragrant.
4. Add pineapple, cucumber and tomato to the mixture and stir-fry.
5. Pour in the sweet and sour sauce, add a dash of dark soy sauce (if desired) and corn starch solution. Stir till thickened, then add the fried Crispy Nuggets.
6. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, plate up and serve with rice. Et voila!
Alternatively, you can cook up Sweet and Sour Meat Free Pieces with a mixture of freshly chopped veggies and the same delicious sweet and sour flavours. Click here for another delicious recipe (serves 4 people)!
You can make a different delicious QuornTM meal every night of the week, mama! Products available in Singapore include: Mince, Southern Fried Bites, Swedish Style Balls, Vegan Fishless Fingers and Vegan Breaded Fillets. QuornTM is available via RedMart, with select products available at Cold Storage, Market Place, Amazon Prime Now, Sheng Siong, all FairPrice Xtra outlets, and selected FairPrice Finest supermarkets.