No sooner do we take down the Christmas ornaments from our trees, than we’re back to decorating the house with all things gold and red! With Chinese New Year around the corner a little earlier this year, we’re excited to see lai see pop-up stores all around Singapore. It’s the Year of the Horse, and we’ve found some great paper to custom-make our very own red pockets and wall art. Here are some ideas on what you can do with all the unique and beautiful lai see packets out there!
What You Need:
(We sourced our supplies from Prints)
- An A4 frame
- Various styles of lai see red pockets
- Patterned red paper
- Bear and Hei Hei tags
- Glue stick
- Leather alphabet stickers
- Gold foil number stickers
- Pilot Frixion Color erasable pens
What To Do:
Part 1: CNY wall art
1. Prepare all your materials in advance.
2. Slide an A4 horizontal red envelope pocket into your A4 wall frame.
3. Take some small square gold and red pockets, and with your glue stick secure them on your wall frame. Feel free to make any sort of collage you like!
4. Using the leather alphabet stickers, spell out ‘Happy CNY’ and secure to the top of your wall frame.
Part 2: Customising your lai see packets
1. Again, prepare all your materials in advance.
2. Using your hole-punch, add a hole to the upper left-hand corner of your patterned envelope.
3. Thread the ribbon, insert the bear tag into the hole and tie a simple knot.
4. Using your leather alphabet stickers, add your initials to the bear tag.
5. Using your Pilot erasable pens, add a simple message to personalise your tag.
6. Using your foil stickers, add the year to the bottom corner of your envelope and you’re all done!
Voila! Your CNY framed art is ready to hang on your door or wall, and your lai see is ready to be handed out! Happy Chinese New Year!
For more DIY craft inspiration see the SweetP website for more ideas!