Check out this stunning photo gallery for some major birthday party inspo, and get this mama’s DIY tips!
Birthday party planning is a favourite topic among Singaporean parents. Some parents outsource the whole party to an events company, while others spend months customizing the event with delightful handmade props.
We chose to do a bit of both for our son Devin’s ‘Under the sea’-themed 1st birthday party.
Click through the gallery to see our step-by-step process, and the final result!
Party planning started 6 months before when we booked Berlayer Terrace in Keppel Club, which has beautiful sea views matching the theme of the event.
We used props like ‘welcome onboard’ signs, sandpits, fishing nets to decorate the venue and lots of blue and pearl-white balloons. Most of these were bought from online platforms like givefun, Qoo10, Lazada and gift shops. It was a more practical alternative to a professional dessert table, plus we felt like the decorations could then be be re-used.
We even worked the “under the sea” theme into the multi-cultural, fusion high-tea menu with starters like Ikan bills and Italian prawns.
We also had fun and interactive party foods like candy floss, ice cream on a bicycle, chocolate fondue, Thai chendol, and live stations making shawarma and laksa. All of these options kept the guests exploring and interacting.
The ‘catch of the day’ goodie bags were the very popular clown fish and stingray from the movie Finding Dory.
Highlights included under the sea-themed face painting and a bouncy castle. Naturally the shark mascot was also a big hit with the children!
- Start planning 6 months in advance — you’d be amazed at the amount you can save in bargains when you have time.
- Choose a venue that has a backup option in case of wet weather.
- Have a backup set of birthday clothes for your kid in case he gets messy during the party.
- Make a party plan that suits your child’s natural timing so that they are not cranky and part of the fun.
- Get a good photographer to capture all of your hard work!
Our Top 4 Favourite Vendors: