The National Day Parade has been postponed to 21 August! Here’s what we know so far, along with a guide to 2021 NDP Rehearsal Dates and NDP 2021 firework locations
Following the announcement of Phase 2 (Heightened Alert) restrictions, the National Day Parade will now be held on 21 August 2021 instead of 9 August, the anniversary of Singapore’s independence in 1965. That doesn’t mean we can’t still celebrate what it means to be a Singaporean (and if you’re not Singaporean, simply celebrate all the reasons you love our Little Red Dot!) in true red-and-white fashion! This year’s NDP will return to the Marina Bay floating platform as a centralised, in-person with fewer participants and spectators, said Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen on 28 June 2021.
National Day Parade (NDP) 2021 and NDP Fireworks
Here’s what we know so far:
– All participants and spectators need to be fully vaccinated.
– There will be no public ballot for this year’s NDP. Instead, viewing will be on a by-invite-only basis, reserved for “everyday heroes” ie. Singaporeans who have served on the front lines or in essential roles. All spectators must undergo pre-event Covid testing.
– NDP 2021 performers must undergo antigen rapid testing before every rehearsal.
– There will only be one preview show before the main event.
– We expect there to be an NDP Parade at the Marina Bay floating platform as well as “heartland activities” (details as yet unconfirmed) probably similar to NDP 2020.
NDP Fireworks for 2021?
– Will there be NDP 2021 fireworks we hear you ask? According to Straits Times when asked about NDP fireworks Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen “said that Singaporeans need to play their part and that it would be better to watch any displays from their homes”. We’ve seen videos of the fireworks rehearsals happening in the Marina Bay area (of course, as we’ll be having an in-person parade this year!). We are expecting that there will NDP fireworks set off in the heartlands as they were last year.
Other NDP 2021 celebrations
– The Red Lions are set to make free-fall jumps at various heartland sites. Previously said to be held on the weekend of 7 & 8 August, the Red Lions segment has also been postponed to a later date in light of the new restrictions.
– On 9 August, a ceremonial parade will be held to commemorate the occasion. Details of this ceremonial parade have yet to be announced.
– On 21 August, we expect that helicopters with the state flag and fighter jets from the Republic of Singapore Air Force will fly across the heartlands, while a fireworks display in some residential areas will cap off celebrations at night. More details on the locations of the free-fall jumps and fireworks displays, as well as the fly-past routes, will be announced later.
– Much of the NDP 2021 celebrations will take place virtually similarly to NDP 2020.
We shall update this post with more NDP 2021 info when it comes in – be the first to know when we do by signing up to our newsletter!
In the meantime, let’s look back at some of our favourites from last year’s NDP fireworks and National Day celebrations!
Here’s to an exciting National Day 2021 with the fam!
Last year, we tuned in on our TVs and online on 9 August as the NDP 2020 celebrations kicked off! Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong addressed the nation with his National Day 2020 Message, followed by a live stream of the parade at the Padang featuring:
- An aerial display comprising a flypast of the state flag and a ‘roar of unity’ by F-15 fighter jets
- The presidential gun salute
- A maritime sailpast conducted by vessels from the Navy and various public agencies
Red Lions & Mobile Column in the Heartlands
Along with the morning segments, the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) parachute team The Red Lions made “special appearances” in the heartlands – they landed in front of Ng Teng Fong Hospital and Sengkang General Hospital as a tribute to all essential healthcare workers in Singapore.
We also saw a mobile column of SAF and Home Team assets moving across the heartlands in the morning, so kiddos who love big trucks, tanks and other vehicles, keep your fingers crossed for this year’s parade!
After the exciting morning segment, we tried a variety of bonding activities for the whole family at home in the afternoon:
- Pledge activities
- Wave your flag
- Frontline fighters Recognition
- Arts & crafts
- NDP cooking activity
- Light up moment
Last year, NDP invited everyone to share a video of ourselves saying “Happy Birthday Singapore” and ‘passing the flag’ on TikTok, which featured on the official NDP TikTok page on 9 August!
Last year we tuned into the evening show, held at The Star Performing Arts Centre in Buona Vista. It featured films and performances by performers from the Home Team, the Music and Drama Company, and local artists. The show concluded with the singing of the National Anthem and the saying of the pledge.
Last year during NDP 2020, fireworks were set off from more than 10 different locations in Singapore:
- Ang Mo Kio
- Buona Vista
- Jurong Lake Gardens in Lakeside
- Marina Reservoir
- Yew Tee
Keep checking back as we fill you in on the best places to safely view the NDP fireworks on 9 August 2021.
For last year’s NDP, the ‘Singapore Together Pack’ was made available for collection at community clubs and residents’ committee centres for some 80% of households in Singapore. Funpacks consisted of a Hand sanitiser, Thermometer, Face masks, Singapore flag and a handheld Singapore flag and more.
For NDP 2021 funpacks will be given to NDP spectators, but only with “essential items” including a reusable water bottle, a handheld national flag, and sanitiser.
Check back as we update you on more details for NDP 2021!
Article published in 2020 and updated in 2021