Kids gymnastics classes, competitive development training and Ninja classes at The Yard. Here’s what we liked about classes and how to skip sign-up fees!
The Yard, one of the most highly regarded spots for recreational and competitive gymnastics for kids of all ages in Singapore, has a second location in Dempsey Hill. We all know how important building up our kids’ gross motor skills is in order for them to develop fine motor skills (like writing). So with this in mind, and intrigued about The Yard Dempsey’s popular NinjaZone classes as well as their much-sought-after kids’ gymnastics, we went to try out this new gym. Here is what this mama and her two kids thought!
The Yard Facilities
The Yard Dempsey is an extension of The Yard Jurong — Singapore’s largest multi-specialist 20,000 square foot sporting facility launched in 2016. The Yard Dempsey is a welcoming, bright and colourful space with state-of-the-art acrobatic equipment for kids as little as 18 months up to 10 years old.
Read more: Games to Get Kids Moving and Nurture Fine Motor Skills Through Play
Gym Classes & NinjaZone
There are one hour parent-accompanied GymTots classes for tots as young as 18 months old to 3 years old, KinderTots classes for 3-4-year-olds, KinderGym classes for 5-6-year-olds, Ninja classes for 3-10-year-olds and finally JuniorGym classes for 7-10-year-olds that last for an hour and a half. Development training is also offered for young competitive gymnasts to get them ready for competitive squad training.
My 3-year-old signed up for the KinderTots gymnastics class, which involves stretching, floor exercises, using the trampoline and balancing beam, swinging on the bars, launching off the vault, and using the rings, followed by a cool-down.
My 6-year-old son was keen to join in on the action too, and while we all know that gym is for both girls and boys, somehow the NinjaZone classes had more of an appeal to him. The Yard’s NinjaZone classes are a combination of martial arts, acrobatics, parkour and freestyle plus there is an obstacle training course and cardio exercises thrown in too.
So, what did the kids love about their gym and ninja sessions?
3-year-old: “Trampolining! Jumping on the trampoline was so much fun! And I liked doing the bear walking exercises, too. I liked my coach – she was really nice.”
6-year-old: “My favourite part of the class was swinging on the rings and learning some martial arts moves. I’d like to be a Ninja and learn some really cool Ninja moves!”
Reasons this mama loved The Yard:
- The sports facility has great new equipment, including trampolines and balance beams, and the centre looks so welcoming to kids with fun bright colours on the walls.
- Class sizes are kept small — they cap classes at 6 kids for 3-4-year-olds, and at 8 kids for the 5-year-old groups and above.
- The experienced international and local coaches are all properly trained and accredited, plus they are attentive to the kids’ needs and safety while following the technical curriculum. The coaches seem to command discipline while still making lessons fun and appealing to each age group.
- There are holiday camps for toddlers and preteens (half-day gym camp mixes up gym exercises, arts and crafts, snack time and more gym and is a huge hit with little ones and mamas hoping to keep their kids busy and active!)
- The Yard holds birthday parties with dedicated birthday party areas. Yay for no mess at home! Seriously, though, if you want to outsource the birthday this place is the perfect choice for burning off the birthday wiggles in an aircon environment with a fully supervised, 90-minute class lead by a patient coach, followed by 30 minutes in The Lounge for cake and celebrations.
- There’s an aircon waiting area for parents to sit and work or catch a glimpse of their kid’s class. (Do note though that some of the facilities and trampolines are a little out of sight around the corner and non-gym goers aren’t allowed on the gym floor however you can generally watch most of your kids class.)
Cost of The Yard Classes
- For the August 6th – October 14th term, 1-hour classes are $430 (per term) and 1.5 hour classes are $480 (per term).
- Sign-up fee is $60 but waived for the month of August.
The Yard Open Day
The Yard Dempsey is having their Grand Opening on Sunday August 19th from 10am to 3pm so if you are keen to check out the gym and meet the coaches, now is your chance! There will be food, demonstrations, and FREE 30-minute trials for the gymnastics and NinjaZone programs. Get your kids to wear their athletic-gear. and don’t worry – no prior gym experience is necessary. Have fun!
All the details!
What: The Yard Open Day for free gym and NinjaZone trials!
When: 19 August 2018 10am – 3pm
Where: The Yard Dempsey
The Yard Dempsey, 72 Loewen Road, Dempsey Hill, Singapore 248828, Tel: (+65) 6914 9660
Other The Yard locations: 10 Science Centre Road, Jurong East, 609079, Tel: (+65) 6816 8022