He’s fluent in Mandarin, a massive All Blacks fan, and fancies Mark Ruffalo to play him in a movie. Meet Brighton College Singapore Head Master Paul Wilson…
The UK’s renowned Brighton College (it was just named England’s independent school of the year for 2019 by the Sunday Times, nbd) will be opening its brand new Singapore campus in August 2020 (applications are open, mamas!).
While there’s always lots of buzz around new international schools in Singapore, the addition of a proven and popular British curriculum school seems to drive the frenzy to a whole other level. What will the campus be like? Where are the faculty from? What grades will the school cater to? And how much are school fees? All will be revealed, mama…
Brighton College Singapore will initially offer Pre-Prep (18 months to 5 years) and Prep (ages 6-11) programmes, only going up to Year 4 in its first year of operation (with a plan to grow organically each year with the oldest class, e.g. it will go up to Year 5 for the 2021-22 school year). Its facilities will be second-to-none, however, with light-filled classrooms, music and art rooms, a makerspace for computing and robotics, a science lab, and multiple outdoor play spaces and sports fields. Click here to see the full schedule of school fees at Brighton College, which also includes sibling discounts!
Academically selective with a small school feel (there will be a max of 3 classes per year level, and only 550 students total when full), Brighton College Singapore will also feature fully British classroom teaching staff, many of whom have been recruited from within Brighton College in the UK and other top independent and international schools. This starts right from the top with Head Master Paul Wilson, who spent the last eight years at Brighton College in the UK leading academic, co-curricular and pastoral areas for the College.
More deets below, mamas!
20 Questions with Brighton College Singapore Head Master Paul Wilson
- Name: Paul Wilson
- Place of birth: Auckland, New Zealand (but moved to the UK when I was 1 year old)
- Favourite subject in school: History
- What was your worst subject in school? Art
- Favourite children’s book: The Tiger Who Came to Tea
- Favourite movie or TV show: The Lord of the Rings
- If they made a movie of your life, which actor would play you? Mark Ruffalo
- When did you know you wanted to become an educator? In my late 20s, whilst working as a Chartered Accountant
- Do you have any secret or unusual talents? I can do a good impression of a horse neighing!
- What’s your favourite snack food? Cashews
- Favourite sport? Rugby
- Favourite sport team or athlete? All Blacks
- How long have you lived in Singapore for? 5 months
- What’s your favourite part of living in Singapore so far? Spending time with my children in the outdoor pool
- Favourite place you’ve ever traveled to (and why)? The far north of Scotland for its stunning landscapes
- Any pets? A cat and a dog.
- What’s your favourite spot on the new Brighton College campus? Our stunning Pre-Prep classrooms
- Are you #TeamQueen or #TeamHarryAndMeghan? Both
- You speak fluent Mandarin. How has being bilingual changed your life? It’s opened up a number of exciting work opportunities, but it’s also just a real pleasure being able to chat to people where language would otherwise be a barrier.
20. If I weren’t Head Master of Brighton College Singapore, I’d be… Bagging a munro. (If you’re as perplexed by that one as we are, read more here!)
Ready to meet Paul Wilson in person? Schedule your tour of Brighton College Singapore today by emailing [email protected] or calling (+65) 6505 9790!
Brighton College Singapore, 1 Chuan Lane, Singapore 554299, www.brightoncollege.sg