One of the cornerstones of The Garden House Preschool’s approach to education is getting littlies outdoors every day to play, explore and learn how to garden! Their green thumbed experts teach kiddos how to grow and care for plants, spending time each week tending to the school’s fruit and veggie patch.
So far this year, one of the gems to come out of the Garden House veggie plot is some ripe eggplant, perfect for use in the popular Mediterranean dip, Baba Ghanoush. With help from their resident chef, The Garden House has been harvesting these purple delights and turning them into healthy dips for their students to snack on… and now they’re showing us how to make this veg-packed recipe at home too mama!
Easy Baba Ghanoush Recipe
– 1 large eggplant or 2 small eggplants
– Juice of 1 lemon
– 1 tablespoon of olive oil
– 2 tablespoons of tahini*
– 2 cloves of garlic
– Pinch of sea salt to taste
*If you can’t get your hands on tahini, you can make your own by combining 1 cup of roasted sesame seeds with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a food processor and blending until smooth.
1. Roast your eggplants. You can do this by charring the whole eggplant (skin on) over a kitchen burner or by slicing the eggplant in half length-ways and roasting it in the oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 20-30 minutes.
2. Remove the eggplant from its skin. Chop the eggplant flesh into large chunks. Try to remove as much of the seeds as possible.
3. Combine the chopped eggplant with the rest of the ingredients in a food processor and whizz until smooth. Voila!
Serve your baba ghanoush alongside a plate of chopped vegetable sticks like carrot, celery, and cucumber, or even as a dip with a bowl of pita chips and crackers. Fair warning though mama… it’s very addictive, but because it’s made of ingredients that are good for you, don’t feel too guilty when you polish off the whole bowl (we don’t!).
To learn more about The Garden House and their lovely preschool offerings visit their website or call them at 6469 9556.
The Garden House Preschool
20 Jalan Layang Layang, Singapore 598486
Tel: (+65) 6469 9556
Brought to you in partnership with The Garden House Preschool.