We’ve got intel on the hottest new restaurants in Singapore this silly season!
This December there are some great new restaurant openings in town…
– South Beach gets a new Italian joint, Caffé Cicheti
– A new spot in Como Dempsey is on our hit-list for nibbles and Jalapeño margaritas!
– Instagrammable décor and playful inventive dim sum at Social Place
– Our pasta cravings have been answered with new LINO Pasta Bar
– Moules et Frites comes to Duxton Hill with the opening of BTM Mussels & Bar
– Killer views, binchotan grilled meats and complimentary canapés at VUE
– And more!
Swipe left for all the deets!
Read more: New Restaurants Open Last Month
Caffe Cicheti is the newest concept by The Cicheti Group, the peeps behind Italian Cicheti in Kampong Glam and pasta-lovers’ favourite Bar Cicheti off Keong Saik. Caffe Cicheti takes over now-defunct Fynn’s Caffe at South Beach with a few decor changes, darkening the tones and adding a wall mural while still retaining the tropical luxe vibes we loved before. The menu focuses on the Italian fare that the brand does so well — Panzanella salad ($15) with heirloom tomatoes and creamy stracciatella; a selection of Panini (from $19.50) made using freshly-baked pizza dough from Cicheti; mains of Iberico Pork and Cioppino seafood stew. It’s the pasta where they really excel, so make sure your order includes Bavette ($27) with lump crab, chilli and courgette; Tortiglioni ($26); with Chef Aun’s duck ragu; or the highly recommended homemade Gnocchi with mushroom velouté. Definitely don’t miss the Gianduja Semifreddo ($12.50), a dessert packed with Amaretti biscuits, dark chocolate, and chopped hazelnuts hidden within a creamy slice of semifreddo.
COMO Club is the latest addition to COMO Dempsey by the COMO Group. COMO Club takes up that sweet spot bang in the middle of Block 17 in between The Dempsey Cookhouse & Bar and Candlenut, and right outside Ippoh Tempura Bar by Ginza Ippoh. It’s just the cosy nook to sip on a delicious Basil Jalapeno Margaritas ($23) and nibble small plates of signature favourites from the neighbouring restaurants, like the very memorable Sea Urchin with Kaviari Kristal Caviar ($28), Spiced Chicken Samosas ($14), Kueh Pie Tee ($20), or Maori Lakes Lamb Satay ($12).
COMO Club, Blk 17 Dempsey Road, Singapore 24967, www.comodempsey.sg
LINO Pasta Bar, another Italian spot by The Les Amis Group, opens on the third floor of Shaw Centre. This casual 38-seater pasta bar is swathed in soft pink and olive green hues with a geometric tiled floor. On the menu: pasta in all its glory in all shapes and sizes. A highlight of the great value set lunch (2-course $18++ / 3 course $22++) is the Fusilli with Basil Pesto and Turkey Breast, as is the Spaghetti Aglio Olio with prawns, and the Pumpkin Cappellacci. Like their sister resto at Binjai Park, LINO, it’s not all pastas though, look out for Italian style meats and seafood like their Pan-fried Mediterranean Seabream plus salads and desserts like the much-loved Tiramisu.
LINO Pasta Bar, 1 Scotts Road, Shaw Centre, #03-23, Singapore 228208, Tel: (+65) 6235 4653, www.linopastabar.com
Sister resto LINO, one of our fave neighbourhood Italian restos nestled in Binjai Park in Bukit Timah. They specialise in fresh, handmade slow-fermented pizza with great crusts as well as pasta, mains and small plates. Again they have a great lunch set menu 2 courses/$25 and 3 courses/$28 including a coffee or tea.
LINO, 7 Binjai Park, Singapore 589821, Tel: (+65) 6463 7800, www.linorestaurant.com
Straight from Hong Kong, Social Place brings its Instagrammable décor and playful dim sum to Forum Mall. Get your cameras ready for the Sweet & Sour Pork on Ice ($24.80) — cubes of fried pork coated in sweet and sour sauce hidden in a mound of smoking dry ice alongside mini spheres of melons and blueberries! We hear the Flamin-ple’ ($28) is another one for the ‘gram given a whole pineapple is served tableside, then set aflame for the occasion. From the dim sum menu try the Black Charcoal Custard Bun ($8.80) dusted with gold; Deep Fried Lobster Glutinous Puffs ($7.80); and Truffle Shiitake ($6.80) buns masquerading as mushrooms. For dessert, pull out your spoons and get spanking the Small Pig Pudding (main image, $6.80 per piece; check The Social Place’s IG stories to see what we mean); or try the pretty Mahjong Jelly ($6.80).
Social Place, #01-22 Forum The Shopping Mall, 583 Orchard Road, Singapore 238884, www.socialplace.sg
Donburi King is a tiny donburi spot (serving up Japanese rice bowls) in Paya Lebar Quarter (PLQ) the newest mall in the East. Order your choice of donburi from a selection of more than 14, from the self-service screens. If you are looking for something wow, order the Donburi King Signature Kaisen Don ($58.80 though you could probably share between two) with different Japanese sashimi from Hiroshima oysters, to salmon, scallop, king prawns, uni and squid. For something more affordable there’s Salmon with Ikura ($21.50) or Donburi King Chirashi Don of mixed cubed sashimi seafood at $23.80.
Donburi King, 10 Paya Lebar Road, Paya Lebar Quarter, #03-26, Singapore 409057
Tel: (+65) 6611 6657, www.facebook.com/DonburiKingSG
Taking over the now defunct [email protected] restaurant on the top of OUE Bayfront is this new restaurant with impressive views, VUE. The focus here, aside from gazing out over glitzy Marina Bay, is the binchotan-grilled meats and seafood. Head on over for the apertivo session (between 5pm to 7pm) for spritz cocktails with complimentary servings of canapés.
VUE, OUE Bayfront, 50 Collyer Quay, Singapore 049321, www.facebook.com/VUEsingapore
BTM Mussels & Bar by Deliciae Hospitality Management (the people who brought us L’Entrecôte and Sabio by the Sea), opens in Duxton. BTM (meaning Back to Mussels), serves up European comfort food, with fresh mussels as the star. Mussels will be served in a variety of styles (from$32 for 500 grams) with crisp French fries, best enjoyed with an ice cold beer!
BTM Mussels & Bar, 5 Duxton Hill. Tel: (+65) 6690 7562, www.dhm.com.sg/btm
This December 2019 make a difference by dining out at participating Dine To Dream restaurants that support community-based organization Beautiful People’s mission to ensure that less advantaged and at-risk young people’s DREAMS MATTER!
The more you dine at these selected Michelin Star restaurants and hot cafés (from Burnt Ends, to Cure and Common Man Coffee Roasters, the more funds are raised to support mentees. Some restaurants are hosting one-time-only events; others are giving a $1 per every patron who dines; while a few have created special festive menus with a portion of the proceeds from sales to benefit the organization. Find a list of participating restaurants here.
- Grab Paradise Dynasty’s limited edition alcohol-infused xiao long bao of five glorious and meticulously shaped dumplings each containing a different alcohol (including Beer, Red Wine and Cheese, and The Glenlivet), exclusively at the new Funan outlet. The set of five dumplings (available only til 19 January 2020) are priced at $18.80 on their own, or if you order select yummy menu items they’re just $2.80! Paradise Dynasty, #B1-01 Funan Mall, 107 North Bridge Road, Singapore 179105
- PS.Cafe by the Sea at East Coast Park opens with a waterfront location, PS Cafe classics, and a great kids’ menu. 1110 East Coast Parkway, Cyclist Park, 01-05/06/07, Singapore 449880, www.pscafe.com/pscafe-east-coast-park
- Cedele at Wheelock Place has undergone a face-lift and boasts a cleaner, greener all-day dining menu with one third of the menu dedicated to vegan dishes. We love how Cedele has included vegetables like spinach in its breads. Newly introduced vegan dishes include the Portobello Pumpkin Risotto ($19), the Beetroot Avocado Burger ($17) with a homemade beetroot patty and Cauliflower 2-Ways ($22) as a grilled ‘steak’ and as crispy almond poppers. Plus you’ll find lots of locally sourced ingredients and brands like Remedy Kombucha (which they use in some of the salad dressings). Cedele will be opening its second all-day dining outlet at The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands by the end of November. 501 Orchard Road #03-14, Wheelock Place Singapore 238880, www.cedelegroup.com
- Da Paolo Dempsey Restaurant & Bar, has opened its doors at Block 8, Dempsey Road featuring a restaurant, cocktail bar and retail haven.
#01-13, Block 8, Dempsey Road, Singapore 247696, www.dapaolo.com.sg
- A few doors down, Dempsey Cookhouse and Bar offers a new seasonal menu with special ingredients highlighting world-renowned Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s cuisine. The new Weekday Lunch Set Menu (two courses/$38++ and three courses/ $42++) includes dishes like Guacamole with peas and tortillas to start; Roasted Chicken with Sweet and Sour Sichuan Glaze; and Veal Milanese with Sweet Potato and Cranberry. Block 17D Dempsey Road, Singapore 249676, Tel:1800 304 5588,www.comodempsey.sg