For me, a salad has to be exciting: bursts of sweet and sour, crunchy and nutty, fresh yet satisfying. Not plain old lettuce with a sleepy tomato and some carrot sticks, rather some warm, roasted sweet potato, with creamy, crunchy lettuce along with small exciting bites of blueberries- that’s what I want for lunch.
The great thing about this salad is that it is what I call my skin salad; it is high in vitamin A, vitamin E and antioxidants, all great for my skin completion.
The ingredients are easy to source at any Singapore supermarket or wet market and it’s a quick, fast meal that leaves you full yet energized.
- Bunch of Butter Lettuce washed and dried (you can use any type of lettuce if you wish)
- 1 medium sweet potato chopped into cubes, rubbed with a little extra virgin olive oil and roasted till soft and brownish
- 1/2 head of broccoli steamed and broken into small bunches
- Handful of washed and dried sprouts (I use alfalfa)
- 1/2 punnet of washed and dried blueberries
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower or pumpkin seeds (raw and un-salted)
For the dressing:
- 1/2 an avocado
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Cracked pepper and sea salt to taste
- *If you want to dilute it you can add a little warm water
Layer the salad with leaves, sprouts, broccoli and sweet potato, berries and seeds.
In a blender blend the ingredients for the dressing till smooth and creamy. If you don’t have a blender mash the avocado till very creamy and mix in the rest of the ingredients well.
Mix the dressing with the ingredients and serve.
Karin G. Reiter is a medical nutritionist, wife, mama and business owner of Nutritious N’ Delicious who specializes in nutritional, health and life-style education. Karin has a passion for nutrition and the power of food – especially as it pertains to disease prevention. Karin is a vegetarian who lives, breaths, cooks, writes about, talks about healthy food and how it can make your life so much better. You can also check out her Nutritious N’ Delicious blog.